October 27, 2009

A few of the things I love about the South~

Childhood memories - they remind me that a simple life is so remarkably full



The music - okay, those of you who know me well, know that country music is not my thing, but when I am in Nashville, going downtown is a must ~ those honkey tonks draw me in, get me dancing and play over in my head for the rest of the night



Cobblers and pies - it is an essential end to an evening meal



The ladies – I so enjoy being called honey, and sugar and love - it makes my heart dance



The men - they way they hold doors open and practically bow as you pass. Their old world charm that makes them both full of charisma and pride



The delicious depth of the air - the way it clings to your skin and fills your lungs



BISCUITS - need I say more?



Secrets - like knowing better than to order a Pepsi anywhere within a 250 mile radius of Atlanta, heck for that matter knowing that all soft drinks are called 'coke'. Or knowing that the reason that southern ladies tease their hair is so that it won’t go flat the moment the walk into the humidity. Knowing that to enjoy a great glass of iced tea is to enjoy it sweet. And that the state flower is spelt F.L.O.U.R., God bless ‘em



Beauty ~ it is everywhere



Football, BBQ and Whiskey – there are fans of these three things all over the world but in the south they are aficionados



Tomorrow as I board the plane bound for my sister and Tennessee, more than just my clothes will go through a transformation. Going home is good for my soul ~




What do you love most about your part of our beautiful country?


6 comments:

Joannah October 27, 2009 at 11:30 PM  

I have spent a little time in Tennessee - enough to know of what you speak. It's a beautiful place, and I came very close to relocating there a while back.

As for California, there is so much that is beautiful, but my favorite places are the Bay Area and Wine Country. I have so many good memories in those places.

Enjoy your time in Tennessee!

a Tonggu Momma October 28, 2009 at 9:09 AM  

This made me smile because I don't truly have a "home," since I've moved 18 times in my 35 years. But I loved my years in the south - spent much of my childhood there. I was even born in Florida - the panhandle, not the "Fake South" part. Enjoy your time in Tennessee.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! October 28, 2009 at 9:41 PM  

I am a northern girl, but I do enjoy my visits to the South for all the reasons you stated!! Especially those homemade bisquits and gravy......YUMMMM

Hope you are well!!

xo,

Lisa

Marla October 29, 2009 at 11:05 AM  

The only way to get tea is sweet.
Supper is the last meal of the day, not dinner.
Grits are a must for breakfast!

Football & Fried Rice October 29, 2009 at 5:26 PM  

LoL! My only experience with the south was Basic Training in Jackson, South Carolina. Grits?! I had no idea what they were - served every morning for breakfast & I ate them cause I was starving!!!!

Oh, but Tennessee IS beautiful!! makes me want to come & visit too!

Shawnstribe November 13, 2009 at 3:43 PM  

a beautiful post, im Brasilian and what i miss the most....the music, the warmth, the people....
as winter draws in here in the UK...i get very very homesick : )
xxx
s

Join us~

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP