August 12, 2009

Letting go~

At the end of last year we had applied for Bella to go to a new Charter School that opened in our area. We were told that selection would be made in January and invitations would be mailed out. By March we still had not heard anything. I work with a gentleman whose wife teaches at this school, she suggested that we call the administrative office to check on Bella's status. We were given a name and number to call where we reached a delightful lady that said that all the slots for the 2009/2010 school year had been filled and that the waiting list was lengthy. So we made the decision to get our daughter into a Christian Private School. After meeting the principle and taking a tour with her, our excitement began to build. A week later Bella took the entrance test, did well and was accepted to their school. We did all of this knowing that we did not have the funds for the tuition but I thought surely the state of the economy, which was having a strong effect on our savings account, will turn around and we will be able to pull this off. Last month we still had not been able to save the funds needed and the payment was due. I was sad, worried, wired, confused and I felt as if I was losing control~ which scares me.



Vito and I needed guidance, we asked my mom and a friend to hold their opinion and just pray with us. By the end of the week we made the decision that we would get Bella signed up for public school. Ever since moving to South FL all I have heard was how bad the schools were here. After we adopted Bella the chatter from well meaning friends, colleagues, and acquaintances got louder. We were told to get her registered early for the Magnet Schools or save for Private School. As we made this decision I couldn't help but think could I have done more, again I felt as if I was losing control.



The week that we registered Bella for school was filled with highs and lows. Some of the highs, were getting the school choice that was closest to our home, then finding out that a sweet friend's children would be attending that same school. The best high came while talking to my dearest friend about her oldest son who had just graduated high school, public high school. She told me a story of how his last year of school had been one that had caused her many hours of time spent on her knees in prayer over him and his struggles. As her story poured out fear entered in "had we made the wrong choice" ~ I asked her if she had it to do over again, would she send her boys to a Christian School. Her answer confirmed what was being spoken in my heart "No, I am so thankful that what my son faced this year, he faced while under my roof, while I still have a great deal of influence over his life, and while I knew specifically what I need to be praying for." One of the lows came in the form of an email from a friend who asked how I would handle a situation that she had read about going on in one of our local public schools. While it was not meant for anything other than discussion the email once again brought me face to face with my fears. As I responded to her email I prayed for control over them.



Control feels safe to me but feeling safe and having control is not God's desire for this time of my life. Obviously. Just like most lessons I have to learn (honestly all lessons I have to learn) I had to learn this life lesson the hard way. I had to let go and completely lose all control.



Once I let go, an unsuspected blessing came our way~ Last Friday Bella received an invitation from the Charter School that we had originally hoped she would go to. This week Vito and Bella took the acceptance letter to the school, while there they ran into one of Vito's customers who teaches kindergarten at the school. While Vito filled out the necessary paperwork the teacher took Bella on a tour of her class room. When they came back to the administrative office this teacher requested that Bella be added in her class room. Losing control never felt so good.



10 comments:

Nicole August 12, 2009 at 5:50 PM  

So where is she going?

Lori Lynn August 12, 2009 at 6:36 PM  

What a great story. Sometimes we have to find comfort in the situations that are out of our control. At least you took the actions available to you so that Bella could even be considered for the Charter School. As it turned out, your efforts were rewarded.

We are looking forward to Chloe starting KG too! The KG program was excellent last year for Pearl, but I will have to do something (like move)to find a better school system before they reach Jr. High.

Joannah August 12, 2009 at 7:09 PM  

Wonderful outcome! I hope she (and you) will have a terrific school year.

a Tonggu Momma August 12, 2009 at 8:22 PM  

My sister is sending her boys (ages 12 and 10) to school for the first time. She has homeschooled them until now. I've watched her go through this process even while thinking of sending my Tongginator off to public school. It's a good school, but still... I'm glad you grew so much during this - and I'm glad the outcome is one you so desired.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! August 12, 2009 at 8:49 PM  

I am so happy that in the end, she will be attending the school you originally chose. I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason......the man upstairs always has a master plan!!

I still can't believe she is going to school......what a big year this will be:)

Hugs,

Lisa

Michelle August 12, 2009 at 10:25 PM  

Hi Krista,
I so understand where you are coming from. I am so glad to hear that things worked out perfectly in the end!!

Melody August 13, 2009 at 9:11 AM  

I love to read your writings. God is so good to us especially when we "let go" and let God. Easier said than done I know. What a blessings He sends our way when we fear the worst. I am so happy that God answered your prayers when you felt out of control. I am glad that He is in control and not me!

Marla August 13, 2009 at 11:59 PM  

Good for you! If we all could just let go and let God wouldn't the world be a much better place.

mommy24treasures August 14, 2009 at 5:01 PM  

I am so glad things worked out so perfectly.

sara August 15, 2009 at 5:19 PM  

Wow - what a story. I am so glad that you have sought God through it all and I know hoe blessed Bella is to have a prayerful Momma...

Join us~

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP