July 15, 2008

I think my friend may be trying to kill me~

Remember Nancy (my exuberant Weight Watcher Buddy) well over the weekend I believe she gave me a recipe that will be my undoing.


Let me explain~

Last Sunday I was feeling worn out, I thought that it must have been from our weekend get away. By Monday evening I knew it was more than fatigue ~ as hard as I fought the battle to stay well, Bronchitis ended up kicking me in the booty.

Wednesday I made it to my doctors where he confirmed what I had already self diagnosed~ 1 shot, 3 medications and a cup of Mother in Awe's chicken broth and I found myself in bed for the next four days. By Sunday evening I was feeling better except for my cough which from what I understand will be with me for a good long visit. Oh the joy of it all!

This is where my story begins to get interesting and brings me to the point of how I believe that Nancy, my once good friend now believed nemesis, is out to get me. Nancy's is of Cuban heritage~ much of our slang gets lost on her which is so funny. Perhaps it is funny to me because she is always saying “well, in my culture” stopping her there I ask “what do you mean in your culture weren't you born in this country?” Never the less (this would be one of those slang comments that would put a quizzical look of Nancy’s face) Sunday she calls to check in on me and to offer a recipe from her home land of Miami a recipe sure to help cure me.

Recipe:

12 cloves of garlic
12 radishes
1 large red onion
2 lemons
3 sticks of cinnamon
Fresh ginger
2 fingers of water (whatever this means ~ I ended up just covering the ingredients with water)

Bring to a boil... simmer for a few minutes... once cooled take out the cinnamon sticks... add honey... puree in a blender and drink (drink in her culture must me means gag in ours)

When I gave this list to Vito and asked if he could please pick up these ingredients for me, he looked at the list then gave me a questioning look. All I had to say was “Nancy", and he completely understood.

Girlfriends~ I made the recipe, drank it and re-tasted it all night long~ I am still alive today but if you do not see any post in the next few days you will have a better understanding of what has happened to me. Please promise me that you help my husband hunt down the Cuba Witch Doctor!

20 comments:

Tami July 15, 2008 at 9:11 AM  

Oh, I do hope you are feeling better Krista!

That recipe sounds NASTY....you're definitely brave for trying...12 cloves of garlic, radishes etc....you've got to be kidding??!! I BET you re-tasted it for quite some time.......I think I would have stuck to the chicken broth;-).

Nicole July 15, 2008 at 9:21 AM  

Your throat my close up from drinking the poison but your hands will still work to type....

*ps I think my sister is trying to kill me too*

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! July 15, 2008 at 10:37 AM  

Can't believe you got it down!

You are braver than I am....hope you are feeling better!

Lisa

Kristi July 15, 2008 at 11:32 AM  

Ugh! I'd try simmering the savory stuff in the chicken broth before I'd drink that concoction again!
Get better soon!

Briana's Mom July 15, 2008 at 2:03 PM  

Hope you stay alive - LOL! That sounds pretty icky.

I was born in Miami and lived there until I was 13. I had many Cuban friends growing up. None that made me drink something like that though! :)

Michelle July 15, 2008 at 3:21 PM  

I'm gagging just looking at the ingredients. You were a trooper just to get it down! I hope you feel better. Unfortunately, that cough will be with you for a while.

Anna Grace`s Jie Jie July 15, 2008 at 4:14 PM  

Hope you feel better-

Mom To Six July 15, 2008 at 6:25 PM  

Krista,

Being Cuban, I'm laughing my butt off here. Too funny!!! I must admit, I haven't heard of ALL those ingredients thrown together, but pretty close. And yes, the "two fingers" of water (according to my Mom's explanation to me about it when I was a kid), means 1" of water per finger, hence two fingers of water (2").

Hope you feel better soon! :)

Hugs from another looney Cuban...

Ohilda

Little Patch of Heaven July 15, 2008 at 6:50 PM  

Hope you feel better. Love the way your wrote your post.

Sharie July 15, 2008 at 8:14 PM  

NASTY! Hope you're feeling better soon.
I swear by hot tea with lots of lemmon for bronchitis; tastes better too.

Meredith July 15, 2008 at 8:32 PM  

:-0 OH MY GOSH!!! That just sounded horrid and I was only reading the ingredients and not drinking it! YUCK! Hope ya get to feeling better soon my friend.....stay well in the coming months....I need to see you out at the race! :)

Sharon July 15, 2008 at 8:57 PM  

That is so funny, I was laughing out loud! But not about your illness, Jeez, that is a hard thing to go through. I am glad you are on the mend now. Take good care of yourself through the recovery though, that kind of thing loves a good relapse!
I will keep you in my prayers!!

missy July 15, 2008 at 9:14 PM  

You are one brave woman!!! Ick : )

I sure hope you get to feeling better soon. Lots of rest!

mamamia July 15, 2008 at 11:10 PM  

Be well my friend.

Patty July 16, 2008 at 12:27 AM  

Yuck! I'd take my chances of being sick for awhile than to choke that down. I hope you get to feeling better. Upper respiratory "junk" is going around here too.

Denise C July 16, 2008 at 12:55 AM  

Oh no!!!
Bless your heart! I feel your pain...Chelsi and I both have been dealing with Strep. We've been taking our antibiotics like good little girls for a few days now and are finally on the mend.....For some reason being sick in the summer is harder than any other season for us!
Hope you are feeling like your wonderful self very quickly!!
Hugs!!!
Denise

Marla July 16, 2008 at 8:48 AM  

glad your on the mend, and you are one brave chick.

redmaryjanes July 16, 2008 at 9:17 AM  

Oh my word! I hope that you are ok. Your friend sounds like a hoot though

Jill July 16, 2008 at 11:30 AM  

OMG that is hilarious!!!!

i do hope you feel better soon tho....


LOL "cuban witch doctor" ROTFL

The Byrd Family July 16, 2008 at 2:04 PM  

Yuck! Kind of proud of you for even trying it! LOL Hope you are feeling better!

Join us~

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP